Wednesday, July 5, 2023

Ken Spaulding decides not to run for Mayor of Durham, NC

In a statement released to Rev-elution earlier today, Ken Spaulding says the joys of retirement aren’t worth giving up becoming mayor of Durham, NC.

“After receiving encouragement to run for Mayor, for which I am very appreciative, I have given a run for Mayor serious consideration, as requested,” said the former Democratic Party candidate for governor. “After thoughtful consideration, I have decided to continue to remain retired and continue to serve our community in other ways.”

Spaulding considered running for mayor after witnessing “infighting and tomfoolishness, at the City Council level,” he said in a previous statement to Rev-elution.

In today’s statement, Spaulding commended Mayor Elaine O’Neal.

“Mayor Elaine O’Neal has served our city with great dedication, hard work and compassion. I’m hopeful that any future Mayor of Durham will share her same attributes,” said Spaulding.

State Senator Mike Woodard is among a list of people considering the seat left vacant after O'Neal announced not running for a second term.

“I’m set to retire from Duke on September 1, and I’m looking to give 100 percent,” said Woodard. “I love what I’m doing, but I love Durham.”

Larry Hall, former secretary of the NC Department of Military and Veterans Affairs and member of the NC House of Representatives, is considering filing to run later this week.

“If we have good candidates running for Mayor who are ‘not current’ sitting members of the current Council, and if they will give these aforementioned stated policies their earnest and sincere consideration, then I will happily not run for Mayor,” Spaulding said in his previous statement. “I know it’s not politically correct to say, but quite frankly, I am enjoying my retirement and I would prefer to remain happily retired."

No comments:

Post a Comment