Tuesday, March 7, 2023

Chris Rock and the slap that triggers rage

Rev-elution returns after a hiatus to discuss the Chris Rock Netflix comedy special. Support local, Black owned, Black focused, independent journalism  with a contribution to at: Cash App ($CMizzou) or Venmo (@Carl-Kenney-1)

-------------

So, can I offer a confession? Thanks. Take a seat and rest your mind.

 

"Selective Outrage", the Chris Rock Netflix comedy special, triggered me. It opened old wounds that I’ve spent years and too much money in therapy to overcome. Watching Rock on that stage reminds me of how difficult it can be to deal with trauma when doing so demands onloading personal feelings in public view.

 

I am sad that “we,” the consumers of art, require this type of display. I lament anyone forced to address their rage due to an unspoken obligation to feed the curiosity of folks consumed with rumors and stuff that ain’t none of our business.

 

I recognize that look on Rock’s face. I understand wanting to be left alone to heal from the shame of being slapped for doing your job. I recognize that strut aimed at keeping pace with a heart beating too fast after a year of hearing your name tendered for twitter feed.

 

It is safe to say it comes with the paycheck. Reports claim Netflix contract pays Rock $40 million to expose all that pain. Let the one among us willing to say no to all that cash to cast the first stone. Is the payday enough to resolve the agony of the slap?  Who wants to turn the other cheek?

 

Yes, it comes with the job. Yes, people get paid to share their rage. Yes, it is what the public desires. Sadly, folks crave watching others bleed.

 

I understand the fascination. I watched it. Since watching it, I have read what people have to say. “It isn’t funny.” “Rock is disrespecting women.” “He needs therapy.”

 

Duh! All of that may be true, but help me understand. How do you get to the other side of pain when everyone demands hearing you help them take a trip into your personal business?

 

My direct response, after reading the slew of comments on social media, regards it ain’t none of our business. True; however, this is what happens when our business gets interrupted with a slap changing our Oscar night celebration. We witnessed it. We heard it in real time – the Prince slapped Rock proving he “Hates Chris.”

 

We, the viewers of this mess, believe we deserve an explanation. It happened to Will and Jada, their children, Venus, Serena, and Rock. It happened to Questlove, the winners, nominees and the people who produced the show. Yup, it happened to you and me – all of us were harmed by what happened a year ago this week.

 

All of that is true, but no one, and I mean no one, experiences the rage related to that night more than Chris Rock.

 

So, after that long introduction to place my feelings within context, let’s talk about my trigger. Yeah, the one that felt like gunfire on my face after being slapped by the leaders of a congregation. That hurts. Like Rock, I continue to hear Gospel tunes ringing in my head.

 

It is not the first time I have been slapped. Brock slapped me when I was 14. He was six years older. He broke his hand after bruising my face. I have endured being slapped over a dispute regarding a girlfriend. Love triangles are painful for a variety of reasons. Ouch. Been there. Done that.

 

Being slapped is common. What hurts more is being slapped for doing your job. What hurts more is being slapped in public view.  What hurts even more than that is being slapped in public view while having to take the punch because doing otherwise only makes matters worse.

 

Let me make it clear for the people who don’t understand Black folks religion. I got slapped by the church, in public, for doing my job. I got slapped for following my call – like telling a joke – and watched people share opinions related to the validity of the slap.

 

The church slapped me for expounding a theology of inclusion. They slapped me due to a divorce and unfounded rumors regarding things that ain’t none of their business. They slapped me for promoting and protecting the ordination of women in ministry. They slapped me for writing columns rooted in the message of Jesus and extending the work of the Church to include the needs of the least among these.

 

I’m triggered after hearing faith leaders scream, “keep our church name out of your mouth,” followed with a slap of rejection.

 

Watching Chris Rock on that stage triggers so many emotions. Like, my screaming, “I am not a victim”. Like, the desire to share what no one has the right to hear. Like, the movement of a wounded man who seeks to use comedy to inspire and heal.

 

And how can they tell jokes when there’s so much rage?

 

And how can they preach when the slap of rejection still hurts decades after shame consumes every step they take?

 

Triggering is a mothersucker.

 

Inhale, exhale, release.

 

I repeat, I am not a victim!

 

 

 

 

 

 


2 comments:

  1. Thank you Carl for continuing to help us process. We get back up
    from a slap but we remember who did it and when. Turning the other cheek is not always the right way. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete